Work Authorization for H-4 Spouses of Certain H-1B Temporary Workers


Spread the love

On May 6, 2014, the US Department of Homeland Security announced a proposed rule that certain spouses of H-1B Temporary Workers will be able to apply for work authorization.  In order for the spouse to qualify, the H-1B Temporary Worker must have either been granted a 7th year extension under AC21 or the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000, or must have an approved I-140 immigrant petition.  Due to these requirements, this benefit will likely only help the H-4 spouse of an H-1B worker who has already been in the US for a number of years.